St. Nicholas Central Breaker records
Scope and Contents
The St. Nicholas Central Breaker Records contains records relating to the day-to-day operations of the coal breaker. Materials are sorted in chronological order, where known, and related to shipping and ordering of materials. Include are bills of lading from various railroad companies that shipped materials.
- Majority of material found within 1958 - 1978
- St. Nicholas Central Breaker (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in the collection may be protected by copyright, and should only be used for Fair Use purposes. For further information, contact IAL at email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
The St. Nicholas Breaker in Schulykill County, Pennsylvania first began operations on March 11, 1931. It was located between Mahanoy City and Shenandoah and was part of the anthracite coal region of Northeast Pennsylvania. The coal breaker operated until 1965.
In the early 2000s, proposals to make the St. Nicholas Breaker a historical site were tabled but ultimately scrapped due to cost restraints. The Reading Anthracite Company owned the property at the time and began demolishing the site, which was ultimately completed in March 15, 2018 during a controlled explosion.
2.5 Cubic Feet (2 cubic foot boxes and 1 standard legal box)
Language of Materials
Processing was completed by Nicholas Zmijewski, Melissa Nerino, and David Hazel between August 2017 and October 2019. Finding aid was created by Melissa Nerino in October 2019.
Additional materials were processed and cataloged in December 2019 and added as Series 2.
- Melissa Nerino
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Industrial Archives & Library Repository
18 West 4th Street
Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015 USA